Sunday, April 25, 2010

13. Lara Croft's Polygons and Gender in Video Games

I read the article about Lara Croft and gender analysis and it talked about some pretty interesting things. I’m not an avid gamer at all but I used to play lots of video games when I was younger, but I do have a roommate who is a bona-fide gamer. I understand that the character Lara Croft was no mistake. Her breasts were intentionally made to be huge, her waist small, and she was meant to have legs for days. She was also made by and for men. This type of idealized woman doesn’t really reflect what any kind of woman looks like, and I’m sure this would upset feminists...but there is quite a lot that could upset feminists. The thing that feminists are forgetting is that the way that men are portrayed in video games is exactly the same. My roommate has recently been playing God of War, a game about Kratos setting out to kill Arez, along with the rest of the Gods. All of the male and female forms were extremely unrealistic and idealized. Aphrodite was extremely sexed-up wearing little clothing with her breasts exposed, but she is also the Goddess of sex. The male Gods also wore little clothing and were unbelievably muscular. I understand that the majority of the creators of the games sexualize and put the female form upon a pedestal but the same can be said for the male characters.


The article talks about Lara Croft being a positive role modal for women, which I can hardly agree with. I think that video games for the most part are a waste of time, and if we are letting younger elementary school age kids play these games where the point of the game is to rip some guys head off, blow up some some building, or shoot this guy in the head, is that a good thing? I don’t think violent video game characters could ever be considered role modals. I also think that you could be doing something more productive with your time than playing video games...Tasks that actually accomplish something.


The part in the article about the game patches was interesting because I had no idea that that could be done. They were referred to as hacker artists, and I was a little confused when I read the term, but it makes sense now. These people hacking and ‘rewiring’ the game so that it appears different when played can be considered art. A person has to put a lot of time and effort into a patch to make a bad guy appear as a giant chicken or some kind of farm animal. Although the effect is for comic relief, it is still considered art in my book. As for the “Nuderaider” created I’m not really going to say much, except that it is silly and...when you think about it, How weird is it that some creepy dude is slaving over a computer for hours entering codes to get a naked video game character?

4 comments:

  1. I like that you pointed out the representation of men in video games. It is easy to get caught up on female portrayal and completely ignore the male. I have to admit that i haven't really thought about that either. And i too admire skilled gamers that can take a game and make it their own. At times i wish i was that cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lara Croft as a role model is crazy! The problem is that she, like other characters in all forms of media get that label because they entertain children. I think It has nothing to do with substance and more to do with lack of parental control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most video games are about escape and having fun. Games like God of War or Final Fantasy are entirely made up. In those kinds of games I don't think that the way gender is represented should be of concern to feminists.

    However, there are some games that are pretty ridiculous. Hot Shots golf had girls in super short skirts, there was a beach volleyball game that had close to naked girls in it. I think those games are pretty weird and should at least be rated mature.

    Also, I remember way back when I used to play Sims and at one point my friends found the patch to make your Sim girlfriend naked, and I don't think I would consider that to be art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about the male form being idolized in video games like the female form, and I think people ignore that a lot and get caught up in the feminist side of it. At the same time I think this idolizing is done more with females in video games. Even games that are trying to more realistic and the men look pretty normal the women are still ridiculously perfect beyond what any normal women could look like. I think it is important though to keep both of these ridiculous images in mind and talked about.

    ReplyDelete